As the tenth anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks approaches, there are planned memorials and tributes happening all over the country.
Here are a few events occurring in the Phoenix East Valley.
9/11 Healing Field in Tempe
This will mark the eight year that a Healing Field will be set up in Tempe’s Beach Park from Sept 9 through Sept 11. On the morning of 9/11 a ceremony will begin at 5:46am (the time the first plane struck the World Trade Center).
Last year I volunteered to help set up the Healing Field, which consists of almost 3,000 flags and name cards representing each victim of 9/11 from the World Trade Center, to the Pentagon to the filed in Shanksville, PA the heroes of UA Flight 93 overpowered the terrorists. It was a long morning and a very emotional and remarkable experience. I’ll be back setting up this year and will be reading some names of the fallen the morning of September 11. If you’ve never seen this memorial, you should. And if you’ve been before, you should come again.
Here’s a short video I shot last year during the set up of the Healing Field. Sorry for getting a little misty and shaky. Believe me, no video captures the scope or emotion of this memorial.
Town of Gilbert’s Week of Tributes to 9/11
The Town of Gilbert is holding several events to remember 9/11 and honor the fallen, cumulating with the dedication of the Town’s 9/11 Memorial on the morning of 9/11.
For full details of all the Gilbert events, please see their Week of Tribute to 9/11 web page.
- Saturday, Sept 3, 2011. 9am ”“ noon. Day of Service: Volunteering on 9/11 and Beyond.
- Sunday, Sept 4, 2011. 7:30pm. Candlelight Vigil. A Tribute to Memories.
- Monday, Sept 5, 2011. 10am ”“ 1pm. 9/11 Remembrance: Military Support Day.
- Tuesday, Sept 6, 2011. During school day at participating schools. Heroic Adventures.
- Wednesday, Sept 7, 2001. Southeast Regional & Perry Branch Libraries. Healing through Artistic Response.
- Thursday, Sept 8, 2011. 6:30 ”“ 7:30pm. Honoring Our Public Safety.
- Friday, Sept 9, 2011. Daylong. Day of Remembrance.
- Saturday, Sept 10, 2011. 8am ”“ 10am. Preserving Family
- Sunday, Sept 11, 2011. 8am ”“ 9am. Gilbert 9/11 Memorial Dedication.
UPDATE: Reader Jake provided this info on another East Valley 9/11 event: There is also one other big 9/11 tribute happening in the east valley (San Tan Valley area). The American Heroes Concert is paying respect to the victims of 9/11 and honoring all the brave first responders who have kept us safe since. Performing will be Disney Live!, the USO’s own Uptown Angels and Affinity Band plus heartfelt tribute/ceremony. Free to attend. Event supports 100 Club of Arizona. Check out website www.AMRevents.com/AHC (site is optimized for Mozilla Firefox)
I’m sure there are many other memorial and tribute events around the Valley. Feel free to leave info for any in the comments and I’ll add them to the post.
If you want to participate in 9/11 moments of silence, these are the specific times of major events that day:
- 8:46 a.m. EDT (5:46 a.m. Arizona time) – the first plane strikes the World Trade Center.
- 9:03 a.m. EDT (6:03 a.m. Arizona time) – the second plane strikes the World Trade Center.
- 9:43 a.m. EDT (6:43 a.m. Arizona time) – plane crashes into the Pentagon.
- 9:59 a.m. EDT (6:59 a.m. Arizona time) – South Tower collapses.
- 10:10 a.m. EDT ( 7:10 a.m. Arizona time) – Flight 93 crashes in Shanksville, PA.
- 10:28 a.m. EDT (7:28 a.m. Arizona time) – North Tower collapses.